This visa allows you to stay in Australia to study full-time in a recognised education institution.​


You must:

  • Be at least six years of age
  • Have been accepted to study at an educational institution in Australia.
  • Have health insurance

Visa conditions


You cannot work more than 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session (other than work which has been registered as a part of the course). A fortnight means any period of 14 days commencing on a Monday and ending at the end of the second following Sunday.

You can work for more than 40 hours per fortnight during recognised vacation periods offered by your education provider.

You cannot start paid work until you have started your course in Australia.

No work limits apply if you are studying a Masters by research or Doctorate course in Australia.


You must remain enrolled in a registered course (unless you are a Foreign Affairs or Defence sponsored student or secondary exchange student in which case you must maintain full-time enrolment in your course of study or training).
Note: A registered course is one that is on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

You must maintain enrolment in a registered course that is the same level as, or at a higher level than, the registered course for which you were granted a visa. See: Changing courses

You must maintain satisfactory attendance in your course and course progress for each study period as required by your education provider.


You must maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance during your stay in Australia.
Note: Under policy, you must maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).


You must continue to satisfy the requirements for grant of your student visa. This means, for example, that you continue to have enough financial capacity to support your study and stay in Australia.


You must maintain adequate schooling arrangements for your school-age dependents who joined you in Australia for more than 3 months as part of your student visa application.


If you are younger than 18 years of age, you must have accommodation and support, and your general welfare must be maintained for the duration of your stay in Australia.

To maintain your welfare, you must stay in Australia with:

  • your parent or legal custodian or
  • a relative who has been nominated by your parents or custodians who is aged over 21 and is of good character or
  • have accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements in place that have been approved by your education provider.

You must not change your arrangements without the written approval of your education provider.

If your welfare arrangements are approved by your education provider you must not travel to Australia until your welfare arrangements start.


You must tell your education provider:

  • the address where you live in Australia within seven days of arriving in Australia
  • if you change the address where you live within seven days of the change
  • if you change education provider within seven days of receiving the electronic confirmation of enrolment certificate or evidence of enrolment.


While you remain in Australia, you are not entitled to be granted a further substantive visa, other than:

  • a protection visa
  • a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)
  • a Student Guardian visa (subclass 590).


Students sponsored by the Commonwealth or a foreign government

While you remain in Australia, you are not entitled to be granted a further substantive visa, other than:

  • a protection visa
  • a Student visa (subclass 500) granted on the basis of support from the Commonwealth government or a foreign government.

Note: The effect of this visa condition is that, except in extremely limited circumstances, it will not be possible for you to remain in Australia beyond the date authorised by your visa.

The Application Form Of Student Visa

Create a better future

MEA consultancy

Providing clients with the most professional, updated information on education, immigration and career planning in Australia

Contact Us

Your One-stop Consultancy

Migration. Education. Investment. Legal