Resident Return Visa

You will need a resident return visa (155,157) if the travel facility on your current visa has expired or is about to expire and you want to travel overseas and retain your permanent residents status.

A resident visa is a travel facility for

  • Current Australian permanent residents
  • Some former Australian permanent residents
  • Some former Australian citizen


  • An Australian permanent resident
  • A former permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled
  • A former Australian citizen who lost or renounced your citizenship.

They let you undertake:

  • Stay in Australia indefinitely
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Enroll in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • Travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the travel facility is valid
  • Apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible.

Create a better future

MEA consultancy

Providing clients with the most professional, updated information on education, immigration and career planning in Australia

Contact Us

Your One-stop Consultancy

Migration. Education. Investment. Legal